Monday, May 20, 2013

I was always more into Star Wars...

OK, had to steal the title from John McClane.

Paula and I went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness over the weekend.  We really needed a break after the events of the weekend so a movie seemed like a good idea.  How was it?  It was probably the best movie I have seen this year.  Granted with this years movies, that might be damning with faint praise but it was a good movie.  Were there problems with the movie?  Sure.  What movie doesn't have some problems?  But for the most part it kept Paula and I engrossed for two and a half hours at a time we really needed to be distracted.

I meant this post to mainly be about the movie but I think I need to explain why we needed a break.  It all began Saturday morning.  About a year ago our hot water heater exploded causing about $30k in damages. We started noticing some similar "warning signs" last week and had the installers come out.  They said the problem was with a hose that was blocking some piping, they had moved the hose and thought everything would be o.k.  Well it turns out that hose was to our water softener and when it recycled water, all the pumped water caused a flood and ruined most of the ceilings in the bathroom and downstairs bedroom.  This time we were lucky enough to be home so we could save the bedding, the floors and everything else, but the drywall is gone.  We ended up paying a plumber to come out Saturday evening and just totally disconnect the water softener.

Sunday was difficult for different reasons.  We ended up putting Buckeye to sleep Sunday afternoon.  He had been a shell of his former self for the last few years and we decided to not drag it out longer than necessary.  It was a very hard decision and Paula and I were both in tears, but we both felt it was the best option for him.

Anyway, after leaving the vets we decided we needed a distraction and the new Star Trek movie seemed the perfect solution.

The Good:
The cast was perfect lead by Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy, and don't get me started on Benedict Cumberbatch.  I have been a fan of his since I first saw the BBC version of Sherlock on Masterpiece Mystery, and he was great as the bad guy in this movie

The effects were also top notch, but did not overpower the story of the movie

The Bad:
Some people (not me) are complaining about the casting of Khan.  They felt it should have gone to an Indian actor.  I can see their point, but I think in a part where the dialogue and intonation are so vital, you want someone with perfect English in the role...and unfortunately I can not think of an Indian actor that could pull it off.

Plot hole.  OK holes.  The biggest for me was the demotion/promotion of Captain Kirk.  He is punished in the beginning of the movie for violating the Prime Directive and "loses" the Enterprise.  He goes to a bar and is informed there that he is actually just busted down to being the Executive Officer(XO) of the Enterprise.  While at the bar he is called to Star Fleet HQ and after an attack there that kills the new captain is immediately made Captain of the Enterprise again and able to pull Spock back in as his XO.  What kind of punishment was THAT?

No comments:

Post a Comment